Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I'm thankful for.....


Tomorrow is Thanksgiving which, to me, hails in the busyness of the Christmas season. It is after tomorrow that I shudder to think of even driving close to the mall or Super Target. It scares me.
Each Thanksgiving I hand out simple Thank You notes to my husband and kids and we all write 5 things we are grateful for. I don't allow the older ones to write simple, one word things. I want them to work at this, to quiet down for a minute and be specific about the blessings they have.
This is what I think I will write this year.

(1) I'm thankful that I was able to spend time with my dad just the weekend before he died. I hadn't planned to go there, it was just a spur of the moment thing. I'm glad I hugged him when I left.
(2) On the way home that day my sister and I drove through the storm that generated the F5 tornado that hit communities just 20 miles from my house killing, 8 people. I'm thankful for God's protection that evening.
(3) Just 2 weeks after the tornado struck, our community was hit with an unprecedented flood. Many, many people lost their homes and belongings and their sense of security. I lost nothing in the flood except for a few days of work. For that, I am thankful.
(4) I'm thankful for God's mercy and comfort as I heal from the sudden loss of my dad. I can't explain how difficult it has been. I miss him terribly.
(5) Finally, I can't not include these goofy, loud, precious children the Lord has entrusted to me and my husband. It is an honor to be their mother and I love (almost) everything about them. I cannot talk about them without mentioning their amazing father. My husband has put up with me for nearly 19 years and I'm sure there have been many times he would have loved to bail on me but toughed it out instead. He is a man of unquestionable integrity and faith. He is my biggest earthly blessing.

I want to encourage any one reading this (if anyone does read this:)) to slow down and be thankful, at least for tomorrow.

No comments: