Friday, November 14, 2008

Has it started already?

Here it is, November 14th and dare I say that the holiday rush has started already? All is crazy in this part of Iowa, in this little house on the prairie.
Last Friday night we hosted about 11 couples from our Sunday School class for a game night. We lit a fire and justed enjoyed good conversation and, of course, LOTS of food.
Tonight I have signed up to participate in a progressive dinner given for the college students that attend our church. While I LOVE hosting people in our home and I love making desserts I failed to remember the "time change" that exists between college students and "real people". I should have figured this out when the college gal organizing all this called to talk to me at 10:15 PM. I am NOT a night person. I am in bed or wanting to be in bed by 9 pm and my productivity decreases steadily from about 4 pm on. I figured the kids would arrive here around 8 pm and I envisioned myself snug in my bed by 10. NOT. Turns out they aren't even planning to get here until 10:15 pm. I should have thought this whole thing through and volunteered for appetizers.
Tomorrow my daughter marches in the Veterans Day Parade. That evening Bob and I will be going to a steak house with a few other couples to get fat and greasy.
Sunday evening we are providing snacks for 40 high school kids from our Youth Group.
Monday evening we are headed to the UNIDOME to cheer on our hometown Vikings in the state playoffs. I am hoping to run into the Cheesecake Maven if I'm lucky.
Next Thursday the children of some dear friends of ours are spending the night at our place. They are 1 and 3. I'm scared. Every time the 1 year old has been here, he's cried the entire time. I will be spending ALL DAY Friday alone with them. Why does that scare me? I've raised 4 children of my own. I work with convicted felons on a daily basis. How bad will it be to tackle these two angels. I'll have to get back with you on that one.
I am looking forward to hosting my inlaws and some friends for Thanksgiving. Bob grills a turkey on the Weber grill. It is THE BEST. I don't know why we only do it once per year.
As you can see, I'm busy, just like all of you, and I'm fearing December will not be much better.

No comments: