Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Whew! He Made It!

This morning we attended an awards ceremony at the gymnasium of our son's high school.
We really had no idea what would take place but it was kind of interesting. At the ceremony there were about 15-20 scholarships that were announced. Many of them that were announced were a surprise to the recipient. Some had to be applied for but others were awarded based on votes by the faculty etc. I felt like I was at some type of game show. I sat on the edge of my seat waiting in anticipation, hoping my son's name would be called. Each time it wasn't, my hopes faded. Some kids must have walked away with several thousand dollars of scholarship $. Not my kid. Zero. Zilch. Boo! Bah Humbug! I kind of wanted to wring his neck because he has DRUG his feet on applying for most of scholarships. I dare say his essays were probably pretty pathetic and half-hearted so what does he get? NOTHING. Afterwards he came up to me and I looked him in the eye and said our state's lottery slogan, "You can't win if you don't play." He smirked and said, "I thought I would give you and Dad the honor of paying for my college education." I smirked back, thinking to myself, "You do, do you?"

I have to toot his horn though and say he was/is one of 9 valedictorians in his class of 421. This momma is SOOOO proud. There were a few times this past year where that 4.0 was in jeopardy but he came through and achieved something he really wanted. Way to go Lucas!!

1 comment:

michaelg said...

What is that other phrase you never want to hear after you've put in a half baked effort on something? Oh yeah- God helps those that help themselves. That one stings a little sometimes.
Good for Lucas for being a brainiac. You wouldn't know it by looking at him. :o) Just kidding.