Tuesday, January 20, 2009

As I was telling you in my previous post, I had one of my proudest moments as a mother last night. My 13 year old son, Logan, won an essay contest about Martin Luther King Jr. His was one of 4 essays chosen from students throughout the entire city. He won a savings bond and was invited to attend the MLK banquet in our city last night and read his essay. He did NOT want to read in front of everyone because as you will hear when you see the clip, it was very personal. There were about 400 people in attendance, including the mayor, the chief of police, and many other dignitaries. When he saw this crowd he wanted to read his paper even less. We talked about things and decided it is good for each of us to do something that makes us a little uncomfortable and challenges us. This was such a stretch for him but I can tell you it was one of his most shining moments and he basked in the glow of it even this morning. I thank God for times like this, especially for Logan, when he can feel so good about himself. He really needed this.

4 comments:

Madame Leiderhosen said...

Outstanding and bravo! Pass on the congratulations!

michaelg said...

Go Logan! That took a lot of courage. I'm very proud of him.

suzieQ said...

Well Done!! He did a super job and what a terrific message. As to your previous post regarding the weirdness in your house, I thought perhaps if everyone in the house donned an eye patch and a diaper then no one would feel out of place and it would really give the neighbors something to talk about. Just an idea.

janban said...

We all have out own little weirdnesses, don't we? Usually not as obvious. Thanks, each of you, for your congratulations.