Monday, March 30, 2009

Day 2

We had a great day yesterday! After breakfast we drove around for a bit, trying to plan out our visit. I've always felt I should have been a realtor and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to look at houses, especially ones that are different than what I am used to. I'm sure people that actually live there hate it when people like me just drive around in their neighborhoods for no reason other than to look at their homes. I'm a voyeur.
After that, we drove down to the main strip, parked, and visited the many shops lining the street. We had a yummy flank steak pannini for lunch. (Yes, we are the cheap people who split meals at restaurants. After 4 kids and lots of expenses you learn to cut corners where you can AND it cuts back on the calories.)
We came back to the hotel where I took an hour long nap and hubby researched nearby hiking trails.
We drove to a BEAUTIFUL area and headed out towards Cathedral Rock. I cannot explain to you how absolutely gorgeous the world is out here. We hiked a total of 2 1/2 hours and stopped just short of Cathedral Rock. It was just too steep for me. My husband could have made it but he didn't want to leave me waiting for him. Personally, I wouldn't have minded sitting there on the edge of a rock and staring at that vista for a while longer. I thought of Cheesecake Maven, who often blogs about her hikes in NE Iowa, and wondered if she had ever been in this part of the world.
We took a ton of pictures but forgot to bring the cord that we need to transfer the photos onto the computer.
We returned to the hotel and freshened up a bit and headed for dinner. We ate at Wildflower Bread Company and had some great sandwiches. (We didn't split this time!!)
As if we hadn't had enough food, we went out for ice cream. I had butter pecan and white chocolate coffee. Bob had butter pecan and vanilla bean. I think I will have chocolate something tomorrow.
I do have to say and I know no one will feel sorry for me but it was cold here yesterday. It was in the low 60s and was quite windy. I think today will be cool too.
Today we plan to find a biking trail and possibly do some more hiking.
Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

michaelg said...

You're on vacation. Eat all the ice cream you can fit.

You read my story about the jogger in that area who got a rabid fox latched on to her arm. Be careful out there. :o)

janban said...

You know, just about 15 miles from here a rabid bobcat walked into a bar and bit 2 of the patrons. Don't think I didn't think of that when we were hiking yesterday.