Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day 3

After breakfast, we drove about 25 miles to a little town imbedded high, high up in the hills called Jerome. It was established in the 1800s as a copper and ore mining town and at one point was quite thriving. When the mining rush subsided it was pretty much a ghost town. Now, its part Gunsmoke part Brady Bunch and part high-end chic. Nevertheless it was way cool and I'm so glad we went. It has VERY steep streets lined with neat shops. The views were absolutely amazing.
After lunch we spent another 2 1/2 hours hiking. This time we went to Sugar Loaf Summit and Coffee Pot Rock. We made it to the top of Sugar Loaf for the most incredible panoramic view. We descended that summit and started heading for the Zane Grey cave. Bob said, "If you were a guy we wouldn't go on the trails but would just cut straight across, through the brush. But since we don't have the right shoes and clothes (i.e. pants and long sleeves) we'll just follow the trails."
Shortly after that, I found myself off the trail, walking through the thicket. It was hard to move because every time I took a step my shirt, coat, skin, was caught by a group of thorns. Clearly, I was not happy. We had no idea where we were or how far off the trail we were. I was P.O.d. All I could think of was being lunch for a group of hungry mountain lions or coyotes.
FINALLY, we made our way back to the trail and continued hiking. I chickened out as we got higher and higher onto the cliffs. I really held my husband back. He could have gone on and on.
We got back to our car and headed back to the ice cream shop and got the chocolate chocolate stuff I had been yearning for.
For dinner we went to a gourmet pizza place called Picazzos and enjoyed an appetizer of artichoke/spinach dip followed by a pizza, half shrimp scampi and half with bacon, artichokes, black olives, spinach and alredo sauce. YUMMY! (In fact, I had a piece of that for breakfast this morning.)
Today, I think we will do some more hiking at Slide Rock Park. This will be our last full day in Sedona. Until tomorrow....

No comments: