Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm Psyched!!

I am waiting patiently for a visit from my friend, Brenda, of "This Too Shall Pass" fame. She had posted that she was coming to Waterloo today so I emailed her to see if she could fit me into her visit. I have successfully intercepted her and she should be ringing my doorbell at any moment. I'm so excited. It has literally been YEARS since we have had a good sit down talk.
On another, completely unrelated note, my mother died nearly 9 years ago. My sisters and I now have joint custody of her wedding ring. We each will have it for 6 months and then pass it on to the next sister. My sister, Lois, and her family are visiting Disney this week so she gave me mom's ring for safe keeping. It is beautiful and fits perfectly. I never really noticed how beautiful it was until now and it means SO much to have it here.
It seems there is a cute story behind this ring and I encourge my little brother to make any necessary corrections. My dad told my mom he wasn't going to buy her an engagement ring until he sold a certain tractor (or some other type of farm machinery). One day my mom was walking down the street and dad drove by slowly and said coyly, "I sold the tractor." and then drove off.
When my dad did go to the jewelery he looked around at the different rings. When he showed the jeweler the $ he wanted to spend, it seems the jeweler closed up his shop and took dad downstairs to where he kept his good stuff. Dad chose this ring and he did a lovely job.
I will try to post a picture of it soon although I'm challeneged that way you know.

3 comments:

brenda k said...

I enjoyed myself so much yesterday! Thanks for the great conversation, the frozen mocha latte and the tour of your fabulous home! I couldn't stop talking about it when M got to the hotel! He really wants to meet you so, I think one of our next (of many) get togethers will have to be the four of us!

So glad it worked out to spend some time together yesterday. Two and 1/2 hours felt like 15 minutes! Hoping to see you on the 4th!

michaelg said...

I love my visits with the Brenda too. Now you have to see Brenda & Mark's spread. Oh, and ask Brenda if she just happens to have any of her famous olive dip. Mmmmmmmmm.

janban said...

I think I read a post on your blog about that dip, MG. I will have her make that for me sometime.
Brenda, it was great to catch up on our lives over the past 20 years. Let us know when we can squeeze in that double date!! See you on the 4th????? I'm in for sure